Corporate Social Responsibility
What matters to you matters to us.
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is our commitment to operate in a financially, socially and environmentally sustainable manner, while acknowledging the interests of all of our stakeholders.
BlueShore Financial's corporate social responsibility policy is not a short-term project. It's a genuine, long-term commitment to operate in a financially, socially, and environmentally responsible way and is an integral part of our culture and values.
Financial support of our communities
We are an Imagine Canada Caring Company. This means we donate a minimum of 1% of our pre-tax profits to community donations and sponsorships, and follow best practices laid out by the national charitable organization, Imagine Canada. While the minimum is 1%, we typically exceed that annually. Learn more about some of the organizations we support.
Donating our time
Perhaps even more significant than just donating dollars, BlueShore Financial partners with the organizations it supports. The partnerships often take the form of staff donating their time to one-time fundraising events and serving on their boards and committees.
We promote staff volunteerism through our "Making Waves" program, which provides employees with one paid day off a year to volunteer for their chosen cause. Each employee who volunteers at an organization for a minimum of 20 hours a year receives a donation for that charitable organization.
Our staff also regularly donate their time to BlueShore Financial sponsored events including community runs and cultural events and performances.
We are committed to incorporating sustainable initiatives into all of our business and operational practices wherever possible. Additionally we support local efforts to maintain a healthy environment in the communities that we serve.
Our current sustainability practices include:
- Offering paperless e-Statements for clients
- Providing dedicated carpool parking spots for staff
- Offering monthly transit pass subsidies for staff
- Incorporating green practices into our Financial Spa® locations, including window blinds and ceiling tiles made with recycled materials, energy efficient appliances, and motion sensor LED lighting
- Offering battery and electronics recycling program for employees and commercial clients
- Printing all marketing materials on 100% recycled paper manufactured with wind power, and using Hemlock Printers, a local company that has been named Most Environmentally Progressive Printer in Canada
- Incorporating energy-efficient computers and servers and LED monitors into all office spaces
- Being a founding sponsor of the LEED certified BlueShore Financial Environmental Learning Centre in Squamish. The building is located at the North Vancouver School District's Cheakamus Centre, (formerly the North Vancouver Outdoor School), which hosts programming intended to teach youth about respecting and appreciating the environment
As a member-owned organization, a key component of our CSR activities is the way in which we govern ourselves. We must be open and accountable to our member/owners, and adhere to high corporate governance standards.